I’ve always loved Visual.ly, one of my favourite hot spots to trawl through the most amazing infographics. Infographics are wonderful graphics that allow us to absorb large amounts of data at one time by representing the data in visually engaging chunks. At the moment only talented graphic designers have the skill set to create such wonderful pieces of work, but to be able to mainstream that ability would be game changing.
This is exactly what Visual.ly is attempting to accomplish. As we speak they are working on an online tool that will allow anybody to be able to create their own beautiful infographics with little to no design skills. I can’t wait for them to release such an amazing tool. But until then they have ‘Visually Create‘ another tool that allows users to choose a theme and create their own infographic gathered from data from their Facebook and Twitter accounts. Very very cool.
I decided to try it for myself. I chose the theme Facebook Monsterizer and in literally just a couple of clicks I had my infographic.
What I love about these themes are they are graphically quite strong. Props to the talented graphic designers working over there!
As you can see, there was a lot of information that was taken from my Facebook profile which I had to allow Visual.ly access to. Some people may feel very uncomfortable about that, but I suppose you could still try it out and then remove those permissions later.
Other themes that you can choose include:
- Life of a Hashtag – Analyzes the appearances of a hashtag
- Showdown – Compares two Twitter accounts
- Twitterizer – Analyzes a given Twitter account to create a personalized character based on followers, tweets, and community engagement
- Facebook Monsterizer – Analyzes a given Facebook profile to create a personalized character and highlight top friends, and popular photos and messages
- Facebook Insider – Analyzes the performance of Facebook page content and fan engagement.
They are also working on other themes using categories such as sport, food and politics. So if you want to look out for that I suggest subscribing to one of their social media pages or signing up with them.
Enjoy and have fun!